Thursday, August 6, 2015

Teacher Meal Prepping: My go-tos

Breakfast:
As I said, I currently do a meal replacement shake with coconut milk, strawberries and chia seeds.

Before I would do:
2 hard boiled eggs per day (did you know you can hard boil eggs in the oven???)
Some sort of egg, bacon, cheese muffins
Yogurt with granola



Other ideas I haven't personally tried:
Refrigerator oatmeal
Smoothies (put contents in baggie ahead of time to dump into blender)
Breakfast burritos
Breakfast sandwiches (English muffin, egg, cheese, bacon etc)


Lunch: 
I have a few standard go-to's
- Some sort of meat/protein: turkey (sliced deli), chicken (rotisserie or deli), chicken salad (tons of different easy recipes online or buy from store in a pinch), egg salad, crockpot mexican chicken (literally just dump salsa in with chicken breasts). You could do a million other things: roast beef, chicken tenders, etc.
- Healthy fat: I like avocado or nut butters
- Fruit: strawberries, grapes, apples. Once again choose what you/your family likes.
-Veggies: Raw (carrots, snap peas, broccoli, spinach or greens to make a salad or wrap) or roasted (brussel sprouts, butternut squash, asparagus, broccoli. cauliflower)




Dinner:
I love me some crockpot recipes and casseroles. If there is something that won't keep well, make that for the beginning of the week on Sunday and make or prep something that will keep to eat later. At the very least you can prep veggies beforehand. Anything that will save you time (and dishes) later!

One thing I want to try this year is to have a big day of cooking once a month and then freeze most of it so I can rotate meals and not eat the same thing all the time.

Sometimes I make a "dinner meal" and use that for lunches. Once again these are usually things like a pasta bake, mexican casserole, or veggies/meat/quinoa concoction.



I'm sure if you think for a little while you will come up with your own ideas that you/your family will enjoy. With just a little extra planning you can be on your way towards healthier eating and less stressful weekdays. Because we all know during the school year when it comes to cooking:
Image result for ain't nobody got time for that

No comments:

Post a Comment