Saturday, January 17, 2015

Goals for the Spring

Help Students Take Responsibility and Ownership of Their Learning
As with others in the MTBoS, I am trying to help shift my students towards a growth mindset. I really going to harp on the language they use regarding their learning and hopefully kill the phrase "I don't get it" from their vocabulary.

I have some great tracking methods for SBG, but I need to actually use them! I just continually feel the pressure of time and that is what gets cut but I believe students need to see their growth and how they are doing on topics over time.

I also want to start giving more of a schedule of assignments, topics we are covering, important dates, etc to my students. Once again I shy away from it because things change and writing it down makes it more permanent. But the truth is I am generally good at staying on track with pacing and don't often get far off. So why not give students an opportunity to start managing their time better?

Any other suggestions please leave in comments!

Work on Management
The bane of my teaching existence. I need to work on communicating my expectations for classroom behavior early on. Things I let slide this past semester were keeping my supplies orderly, no food/drink, etc. I want to do a lot of interactive activities which requires some good boundaries. I just struggle with implementation.

I'm also planning on incorporating MissCalcul8's "Two Nice Things" where students must say two nice things about someone whenever they say anything negative. I am also looking for something to do with foul language. School policy is to write up but I would rather do something "in house".

Please offer advice - especially on the management piece!

1 comment:

  1. The best way to implement is to just start and tell yourself that you won't back down. I used to predict responses I thought students might say so I would be prepared. My first two years sucked but now I've almost went too far the other way in my strictness. I've let their comments just roll off my back.

    For foul language, I find it's usually one or two repeat offenders. I stop them on their way in to class and say something like "Look I know you've slipped up in class and said some cuss words but if it happens again I'm going to have to write you up." Then just give an all class reminder that different kinds of language are appropriate in different places and in this room it's not acceptable. But then you have to stick to your word and actually write them up if they say it. I find that the personal warning makes an impact as well as just letting them know that it's something that personally bothers me. And make sure you never cuss in front of them! I harp on the fact that I don't cuss ever (they don't believe me) but then there is no danger of me breaking my own rule. I've tried other silly ideas but just writing up the first person who does it is usually the best medicine.

    ReplyDelete